1. It is Never About You – APM is not selfless. He does not make reference to himself as the one who will develop Malawi. He mentions the DPP accomplishments and how the party will use it’s much appreciated policies of the past to continue a development agenda that was phenomenal. Leaders must be selfless with the main focus upon making the team better. Your success must come from the vision and accomplishment of your team. Put your team in the spotlight and you will shine.
2. Leadership and Team Building – When Bingu died, APM immediately embraced the DPP just when all the greedy guys were leaving the DPP. He made all the right moves to stabilise the party. He did not end there! He led the loyal team in organising a very credible convention. He won and took an elected mandate. The force that is the DPP now is the result of a team that took power from the people. Given a chance, I believe he will use the same leadership skills to unite our broken nation and enable us to focus on development. Team recognition is what matters and most of a leader’s time needs to be spent on this. Otherwise you will not be capitalizing on the full potential of your team and the organization will suffer as a result. Not just ine ine ine like Chakwera and JB!
3. APM is Leading Change – Loss of power made DPP realise the wrongs it did during its reign. The beginning of change is to accept that some of your previous ways were inappropriate. APM led the DPP in apologising to the nation on its past wrongs. A very big step towards meaningful change of a party that was hugely successful in developing Malawi but also tented by some bad apples within its rank and file. The ability to be flexible as conditions change is always a function of great leadership.
4. APM is Developing Leaders and Creating Opportunities for young men-APM’s choice of his running mate was absolutely spot on! In Saulos Chilima, we have a matured young man with a proven track record of achievement. He was not chosen just because he is young and has papers. The guy is a complete leader! He would make a perfect replacement of APM. Leaders are not always born. It is the role of current leadership to create them. APM has just created the next DPP and probably Malawi leader in Chilima. It shows how visionary he is. I believe he saw the mistake that his brother made in selecting a woman who thinks running a govt is like running a charity. Today more young men are at the centre of running things in DPP.
5. APM enhanced DPP’s Vision and Set of Values – APM has led the DPP team in maintaining as well as enhancing its vision and development agenda. This will make it easy for the DPP to hit the ground running. From day one, the party will know what to do. No guess work! The party has people who were involved in the development process that oversaw phenomenal agricultural and infrastructural development within the 8 years that DPP was in power. APM knows where the country needs to go and how to get there. Strategy means little if you do not have a vision of the future or why you need to get there. A set of values is a foundation that ensures decision making easier and guide your direction.
6. I believe APM is a Great Listener – Otherwise a self centred person would not have revived the DPP considering how low it had gone in 2012. Go vote for this great guy! I beg ooh!